Friday, June 28, 2019

General-ized Joy



Just over a week ago, a friend asked how I had been doing in a particular area of my life. Apparently, at the beginning of the year I had shared with her that I had been struggling--and one thing I had expressed a need for was more joy. She had written it in her journal and had been praying for me, so she wanted to know how I was doing now. My response was positive--that I actually am experiencing more joy in some areas--such as the time I get to spend with my grandson. Financially there has been more joy, as it's been less of a struggle for our family since my husband took a new position six months ago. 

My friend was happy to hear of the improvement in my "joy department." Later on though, our conversation got me to thinking. I thought of all the things that had come in over the years, attempting to rob me of my joy--and instead push me into the zone of anxiety many, many times. It occurred to me--if one can have "generalized anxiety" (the clinical term for anxiety that doesn't have just one specific cause or trigger)...why can't the opposite be true? Why can't a person have generalized joy? Joy that's just there, with no particular situation or blessing precipitating it--it just is. 

A common Christian confession, "The joy of the Lord is my strength," comes from God's encouragement to His people at the end of Nehemiah 8, verse 10. They had suffered greatly from disobedience, resulting in many years of exile. But this was a time of restoration and rebuilding--a time to look forward and rejoice. And so the Word says, "Nehemiah said, ‘Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength'" (Nehemiah 8:10). 

What struck me about this exhortation, in addition to its celebratory nature, was one key phrase: "of the Lord." If our joy is "of the Lord," as in "originating from Him," it would seem to give joy a whole new context. God is a joyful God, and the work He does in our lives is a reflection of His love. Knowing we are loved by God should fill our hearts with joy continually! I realize this is not always the case--and it has been one of the battles of my life.

Author and Women of Faith speaker Sheila Walsh shares that we must "listen" in order to receive joy. She says, "Be a listener, to music, to life, to others, to God. Life is noisy, but there is music in every heartbeat. God is waiting to bring joy and peace to the confusion of our days." Can we have joy in the midst of a confusing culture? In the middle of painful circumstances? In the midst of disappointment? When we are feeling utterly anxious?

I believe we can. And I believe God is saying to us now, as He said to the Children of Israel, "Let my joy strengthen you." No matter what is happening right now, God comes from a perspective of joy--because He knows the end of the story. Yes, He is with us in our sorrow, and there is a time to grieve. But He doesn't want us to continually run to a place that is absent of joy. He wants us to have an abundant life. In fact, He tells us in John 15 that He has commanded us to love one another "so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete [perfect; full]." (verse 11).

As we walk in love, we receive God's joy. It is a supernatural gift that results in a personalized joy, which translates to a strength we didn't know was possible. Why is it that some can go through such hard things--and those around them marvel at their strength? "You are so strong," they declare in amazement. Well, it's because they have not based their response or outlook on circumstances--but on who their God is. He is a river of life--and in that river flows His love, His peace, His joy. "Generalized joy" just is, because He is. It can spring up from out of nowhere, and through God's love it can be spread and perfected (John 15:11).

As God provided the Israelites with water in the wilderness, He wants to give us joy. So let us be quick to call out to Jesus, the Source of Life, "Spring up, O well!" so that he can bring us to a place of joy when we feel ourselves moving far from it. No, we don't have to walk around with goofy grins all the time. But wouldn't it be wonderful if a spirit of joy were our default in place of fear, anxiety, and isolation? 

I believe that not only can joy be generalized--we can be generals of it. A military general is responsible for major areas of command, including operations that fall within a geographic area. They have authority in those areas and in that region--just as we do in the areas of influence God has placed us in. He has not called us to a haphazard, ill-fated campaign but rather strategically--through the vehicle of Love--to spread Joy, that will strengthen our brothers and sisters.

Psalm 30 is a song of restoration to life--"for sorrow may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning." Be a general of your own joy today, and trade your sorrows for it. Trade your anxieties for it. Trade your negative speech for it. Who wouldn't want something so dear to the heart of God that He would share it with us in such abundant measure? He wants His children to walk in joy. Let's not settle for less, when He's given us the "choice food" (Nehemiah 8:10), Heaven's very best.


No comments: