Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Ready

"Get ready," they said;
But I COULDN'T!
I'm really rather shy,
So when that curtain opened
I thought that I would DIE.
So many pairs of eyes
Fixed on me, as I stood
Frozen in suspended time;
I knew it wasn't good.
But then I reached inside myself
And found my readiness.
I breathed in deep, recouping
From my pulse's threadiness.
My preparation, practice,
And time spent smoothing out
All came together flawlessly
As now I twirled about.
Each grand jeté, each pirouette;
Each glisser and sauté
Performed with such precision,
No one could look away.
They held their breath as I danced on,
With effortless aplomb
And found my heart was grateful
That all of them had come.
No longer was I nervous;

I felt just feather-like!
At last, I ended with a pose.
The host approached the mic.
I drifted backstage, silent,
And with a smile, surmised,
I really HAD been ready
But hadn't realized.

© 2024 Teresa Miles Kephart 

No comments: