Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Fireplace: Installment Seven




After Mary had been duly congratulated, it was time for some “down time,” which meant that Margaret would start lunch preparations while the others played games, read books, or worked on projects. Paula, who had been uncharacteristically tired the night before, settled into the puffy brown easy chair and was quiet—also unusual. Jon, always the attentive husband, went to her side to make sure her feelings hadn’t been hurt or something. “Everything okay, sweetheart?” he asked, squatting down and taking her hand.
“I just don’t feel very well,” she grimaced. “I decided I’d better sit down and see if it passes. I don’t want to alarm anyone.” She attempted a smile, but it wasn’t a heartfelt one; Jon could tell by the sadness in her deep blue-green eyes. Paula hated to be sick, and she hated to miss out on fun.
“You should go lie down,” Jon gently suggested.
“Maybe you’re right,” his wife surprisingly agreed, allowing him to help her up. As Paula slowly headed toward the stairs, Jon reasoned that she really must be feeling out of sorts. But she was always so healthy. What could she have caught? He doubted it was food poisoning. They’d only eaten his mother’s home-cooked provisions for the past twenty-four hours. This was a puzzling turn of events indeed.

§

            At lunchtime, Jon went to fetch his wife, knowing his mother’s homemade four-cheese pizza with onion confit base was one of her absolute favorites. He stroked her hair, waking her up gradually. She confessed that she still didn’t feel well but would try to rejoin the group. Once she got halfway down the stairs, though, the strong cheese aromas took their toll. Paula raced back up the stairs, hand over mouth, making it to the bathroom just in time.
            Jon explained to the family that Paula wasn’t feeling well and wouldn’t be joining them for lunch. “What a shame,” lamented Margaret. “I wanted to talk to her more about her ideas for a decorating business. And of course, I enjoy her company. Hopefully she’ll feel better by evening.” Jon shrugged, meaning that he hoped so too but recognized he had no control over such matters.
            It was just two days until Christmas, and the snow kept falling. The Wollersheim Winery would be giving a free wine and cheese tour today, and Margaret had high hopes that everyone would want to go. All who were present at the lunch table gave hearty agreement. Paula was the only question.
            “It starts at three o’clock, so we’d need to leave in about an hour,” Margaret directed.
            “I don’t think Paula will be able to go,” Jon offered sadly.
            “I’ll go up and talk to her,” Margaret determined, picking up a nearly-empty bowl of parmesan and heading toward the kitchen. She had another reason as well.

§

            Margaret tapped lightly on the upstairs bedroom door and was greeted with a faint “Come in.”
“Hello, dear. The rest of us are getting ready to head to a wine and cheese event at Wollersheim. I’m thinking you’ll probably stay here and rest, but I wanted to check on you.”
Paula, who would normally jump at the chance to taste fine wines and cheeses, groaned a bit. “Oh, I’m sorry. That doesn’t sound appealing at all at the moment. I guess I’d better stay behind.”
“Well, if you don’t mind me asking, would you describe how you feel as ‘not really sick in the viral sense but more queasy?”
“Yeah, that pretty much describes it. I don’t feel like I do when I have the flu, yet I’m so nauseous, I…” Paula paused, beginning to realize where her mother-in-law was going with this.
Their eyes met, Margaret’s tender and Paula’s more startled. “Well, if I had to guess—and though I’m no expert, I have a bit of experience—I’d say you’re expecting.”
           

No comments: