Monday, August 5, 2013

Big Moose

Today's blog post is written in honor of my dad, Merle D. Miles, who next month will celebrate his third year in Heaven...as we understand time anyway.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad was always one of the most accepting people in my life, and I’ve always known that I was his pride and joy. Before I was born, my dad really wanted a girl and asked the Lord specifically for one. The Lord graciously granted this prayer, perhaps because He knew my parents would have no more children.

My dad was 42 when I was born, and though a sibling would have been nice in some ways, my dad felt I was enough—possibly for more than one reason. But I was always, as he said, “the apple of his eye”. He had other pet names for me too, such as Papoose and “my girl”. I was truly Daddy’s little girl, and we had a very special bond. “Big Moose” was one of my terms of endearment for my dad.

From the time I was little, I would get excited when my dad arrived home from work, and I know this was a bright spot in this hard-working man’s life. My dad, though he attended Bible college and graduated with a degree in Theology (and a Minor in Psychology), never felt he could use his training in the real world. In many ways, he lacked confidence and was bound by fears.

In the same way, I have struggled in my own life with issues of confidence and multiple fears. I know that much of this came from growing up with my dad and the spiritual atmosphere of fear that often surrounded him. For my dad, much of this seemed to come from a lack of affirmation he felt when growing up. So I know he made an effort to always affirm me.

Dad wanted me to love scientific things the way that he did. Often, he would launch into a “discussion” of a scientific nature. A couple minutes into the monologue, I had already tuned out but would continue with the obligatory “uh huh…yeah…oooh…right,” and my dad never seemed to notice that I was disengaged. I humored him out of love and appreciation for who he was and what his passions were. He was a writer, an inventor, and a studious Bible scholar.

Dad liked to tease…and tickle, sometimes to my irritation, but most of the time I enjoyed it. And I have fond memories of him playing Anagrams with me. This was a word game played with red letter tiles, which led to my life-long love of word games.

My dad had a keen sense of humor and loved to tease and tell jokes. He also had a great memory, a trait that he passed on to me. He could remember the smallest details. Some of the greatest things that I have gained from my dad are my humor, my ability to have a serious discussion, and a love for the beach. When I was a young girl, one of my dad’s favorite activities was beach-combing. In addition to these qualities, he instilled in me a desire to know the Bible and a love of music. He loved to talk about the Scriptures and to sing, some of the same things I still enjoy.

Dad loved vanilla ice cream; unlike me, he loved to have his picture taken; he enjoyed gardening (especially planting potatoes); and he felt at home in the great outdoors.

For years my dad cut wood, cleared brush, and the like, but for 15 years or so he and my mom cut young alder trees into poles that were sold to the aluminum plant in Troutdale to stir the aluminum pots. This work was done with a machete. It was this line of work that was the backdrop for one of dad’s and my best bonding moments.

I was 13 years old. In the course of working outdoors, Dad had cut his leg open with a machete. Rather than incur an ungodly hospital bill, he suggested to me, “You could stitch it up.” Though this was a little frightening, I knew my dad was pretty tough. After numbing his leg with ice as best I could and sterilizing the needle, I fixed up his leg and he proclaimed me “a good surgeon”. A couple weeks later, I removed the stitches and his leg was as good as new.

When I was about 14, my mom and I challenged my dad to see how long he could grow his beard. He lit up at the challenge and we were amazed at how long he let it get! We affectionately started calling him “Moses”. He liked seeing people’s reactions to his beard and would grin from ear to ear. This also elevated his joy at having his picture taken.

My dad’s greatest moral strengths, I think, which he passed on to me, were his honesty and his sensitivity. I gained a great deal of compassion from growing up with him. Daddy was someone I could always talk to. I trusted him completely.

No comments: