Monday, August 12, 2013

Kari

I love coffee. Many of my friends do too. I've often written to describe coffee.



Something so robust,
Yet strangely pristine—
Who would’ve guessed
That it came from a bean?

Today I started thinking about a poem I wrote ten years ago--about coffee--in which I mentioned each cup, or mug, representing a different friend. 


Grounds for Sharing

C reated by God
O dor supreme
F iltered perfection,
F it for a king
E ver-y swallow, a savored event
E ach cup on my shelf doth a friend
          represent.

So, next when you sit to enjoy a fine brew,
Invite someone special to share it with you.

© 2003, Teresa L. Kephart

This poem got me to thinking about my various treasured coffee mugs and how they each remind me of certain friends. Today's featured friend is Kari Moynihan. She's been my friend for almost thirty years. We like a lot of the same things, such as going to the "happy store" (aka Goodwill Outlet) to find "treasures." The reason this colorful mug reminds me of Kari is because of her zest for life. She likes to find ways to have fun. She's spontaneous and enthusiastic about making  memories with family and friends. She doesn't try to be like anyone else--she's definitely free to be who she is. It's all of these qualities that make her so colorful. When I see this mug, I think 'Fiesta!' And that's what I think when I see Kari's smile too. Kari is insightfully creative, thought-provokingly outspoken, and fiercely loyal. A better friend no one could find. A poem I wrote for Kari a few years ago sums her up fairly well, I think:


To My No-Faux Friend
I like to admire faux finishes,
Like sponging and crackling effects
I’m taken by faux antique furniture
And distressing, in many respects
But I’m thankful that though you’re creative
And pretty faux-competent too,
If there’s one faux-free thing I can count on
It’s that there is NOT a faux YOU.
You are such the real deal and much more,
And your basecoat does not hide your quirks
You are sandpaper honest, assertive,
In a marble-strong way that just works
You are country, chic, cottage, and vintage
But always with fresh common sense
And you’re there when I struggle deciding
What to do with an old piece of fence
You take discarded doors and find beauty,
Make tired frames into pieces of style
But you’re never too busy for friendship,
You’re designed for the extra mile
I hang onto the fabric our lives share
And I cherish our “happy store” buys
‘Cause it’s not a faux feeling I’m having
In my heart, you’re a most treasured prize

© 2009 Teresa L. Kephart

 



 

No comments: