Sunday, August 18, 2013

Kristiana

Today's mug honoree I could not say enough about if I tried. Although she is my daughter, I consider her a friend, and now that she is "all grown up" we have a new kind of relationship that fosters friendship. Kristiana has never been timid. She's loved people from a very young age and never had a fear of approaching them and introducing herself--asking them questions to show her interest and make them feel welcome in whatever setting she found herself in. That welcoming spirit is really the hallmark of who Kristiana is.

In addition to being uncharacteristically friendly at all ages, she also showed a strong sense of concern for the overlooked. Beginning in middle school, she would look for those who no one was sitting with at lunch time and go join them, making conversation and letting them know that she noticed them. If there was a theme to Kristiana's life it would probably be "Everyone deserves to be loved." And she shows it in the way she seeks out and relates to others.

The reason I chose the owl mug is because I've always felt Kristiana carried a wisdom that was beyond her years. She has shown this in the friendships she's chosen, as well as in her pursuit of the Lord and His purposes for her life. She is sensitive to the Holy Spirit and confident in His leading. And she makes good use of her time, giving away a great deal of it to take time for others--to love on them, of course.

Aside from being impressively hospitable and nurturing, Kristiana is one of the most creative people I've ever known. As a child, her drawings were full of life and color. The people in them always looked not just happy, but exuberant. And that's Kristiana all the way--exuberant about life. You've heard that saying that was so popular for a while that everyone was posting it on the walls of their homes--Live, Laugh, Love. That is what Kristiana does--in all that she does.

Kristiana's fun-loving, colorful personality is reflected in the way she dresses, in her craft projects (she is quite the talented crafter), her paintings (which she loves to make for people for special occasions), her writings (she has a keenly insightful voice and zeal in her use of words), and her photography. In middle school Kristiana began to discover that she possessed both the eye and the passion for photography.  Since that time, she has honed her skills and launched a very successful business, Phogenique Photography, now partnering in the business with her techno-savvy and fellow photo enthusiast husband, Nathan.

When I think of Kristiana I think of all the seasons, their full colors and styles--the holidays and celebrations associated with each--the dynamic bounty of variety in the temperatures, textures, and wildlife proliferating the environment with new sights and sounds. Kristiana is a fascinating mix of all that is beautiful and artistic--a truly unique creation, eclectic and full of surprises. She is a visionary and her passion for future endeavors is awe-inspiring. Her joy is contagious. Her love is boundless.

I have always been proud of Kristiana--the endearing child that she was; successfully working through her teenage challenges--her great ideas expressed through late-night projects I had the privilege to assist her with; the virtuous and mature woman she's grown up to be. She's an incredible wife, and one day I know she'll be an excellent mother.

I am thrilled to count my eldest daughter among my most treasured friends--I am doubly blessed.

K indness personified
R ighteous in all her ways
I llustrating the world
S erving and loving
T aking time for God first
I ntuitively blessing others
A stonishing in her beauty
N arrating her own story
A spiring to reach new peaks.

I love you, my daughter--my friend.

No comments: