Friday, August 30, 2013

Scrappy Saturday: Mexico Milestone





Posting my blog a bit early, as I will be traveling a bit on Saturday. "Scrappy Saturday" simply means sharing with you each Saturday how I am using my love of crafting to bring joy to my own household or someone else's.

This is a frame I have had for a long time. It has a vibrant color, so I decided to use it a few years ago when I hosted a table for a Mexican-themed auction for Life School, which is a ministry/training center of the church I attend, Life Church.

When Kristiana, our oldest, was eighteen, she got to go on her first missions trip--to Navajoa, Mexico. Being fluent in Spanish, she was an asset to the team and able to converse well with the locals. She is pictured here (on the far right) with a couple of the girls she met there. I love how she's kicking up her foot. That's really the spirit of Kristiana. She loves being with people and getting to know new people.

This trip gave her not only a new experience but a clearer direction for her life. She may still do "missions work," but it will be with a different emphasis. She and her husband, Nathan, have a vision to take their passion and skill in photography around the nation--perhaps around the world--and use it as a tool to bring to life the events and outreaches taking place in churches they've never been to before. It's really a more complex and detailed vision than that, but that's for them to share in their own time. :)

As a mom, I am thankful Kristiana had the experience of going to Mexico so that she could love on children, relate to people from another culture, and overcome any fears she had of traveling away from her hometown. This trip helped to equip her for other doors God will surely open.

So I wanted to commemorate Kristiana's journey to Mexico by framing this picture and placing it on the piano, alongside the picture of her sister Kalina and a teammate with some children they ministered to in Haiti. I hope that their brother Josiah can one day go on a missions trip as well.

Our life is a series of life-changing moments, and this was one of them. The fun frame, the fun girl, the fun moment--a milestone reached for future opportunities and advancement of the Kingdom of God.

No comments: