Sunday, April 17, 2016

April Apperceptions: A Life-directing Quote

A quote I try to live by comes from the Bible. It says, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you,..." (Matthew 7:12a; also found in Luke 6:31). A common version of this verse, reflecting the same principle, is "Treat others the way you want to be treated."


Therefore:

  • I make an effort not to judge, lest I be judged according to the same measure (Matthew 7:1-2). 
  • I try to be a good listener.
  • I challenge the people I care about and endeavor to speak the truth to them in an encouraging, building-up way.
  • I share my opinions but try not to do so in an arrogant way. But...I try not to give unwanted advice--unless a person has given me permission to speak into his/her life and I feel it is warranted and/or essential.
  • I pray for others.
  • I encourage others in their pursuit of a deeper relationship with God.
  • I attempt to keep in contact with good friends.
  • I share (by way of wisdom) both my successes and my failures.
  • I give gifts (whenever possible).
  • I encourage my loved ones' dreams and goals.
  • I urge those I love to pursue areas of gifting and talent.
  • I share my giftings and talents with others.
  • I am honest.
  • I set needed boundaries (at least, I try to).
  • I practice unconditional love and acceptance (I say "practice" because I'm definitely not perfect at it).
  • I look for ways to minister to those in need (I think I can improve a lot on this one).
  • I sympathize, empathize, and identify with others whenever possible--sometimes this means carrying burdens with them too.
I am reminded as I write this of the many, many people who have been and continue to be all these things to me. I am thankful for love being shown to me so that I can continue to love others well--which brings me to another great quote (i.e., passage) to end on, for it is my heart's true desire:

"Love others well, and don’t hide behind a mask; love authentically. Despise evil; pursue what is good as if your life depends on it10 Live in true devotion to one another, loving each other as sisters and brothers. Be first to honor others by putting them first11 Do not slack in your faithfulness and hard work. Let your spirit be on fire, bubbling up and boiling over, as you serve the Lord" (Romans 12:9-11, The Voice).

No comments: