Friday, April 15, 2016

April Apperceptions: Pet Peeves (the Word "Pet" Implies That They can be Tamed)



We all have eventualities that really seem to bug us--the occurrences of these "pet peeves" can bring out the worst in us--or at least a bit of frustration. I'm going to share a few of mine...but I've also decided to share how I've learned to overcome a degree of the peeved-ness that they cause.

1) Grammar errors and misspellings--The common ones are the ones that bug me most, such as the  misuse of your and you're, the spelling of "congratulations" with a "d" in place of the "t," and the misspelling of "definitely" as defiantlly--or featuring some other random assortment of i's and a's.

How I've learned to overcome much of what bothers me in this department: Through a growing love for people. Loving people above their spelling and grammar abilities. I will, however, admit that my annoyance with word negligence heightens when the errors are present in a business/professional context. Still, I am able to overlook much by reminding myself of the great value of those I care about who may be making these types of errors. I usually can tell what they mean anyway, and I've decided that relationships are more important than grammar and spelling.

2) A messy, disorganized garage--I haven't yet been able to overcome this one, nor effectively alleviate its negative effects on my psyche.

Temporary solution (better than none at all): The only temporary fix I've found is the periodic (maybe once a year) cleaning/organizing of the garage.

3) When people cancel or "bum out" on commitments last-minute (or just don't show) and make seemingly lame excuses.

What I've learned to do: I've learned not to expect as much of people as I once did so that I don't end up being overly disappointed. I've also had to remind myself of times that I've been the culprit in a last-minute cancellation that I could have kept. We are all human, and sometimes it takes hindsight to realize that our actions affect others--and our word matters.

Everyone has pet peeves. The challenge is to not let them get in the way of good relationships. Sometimes healthy boundaries can aid in this process (in reference to number three). And sometimes we just need to extend grace. After all, I know I am responsible for fueling others' levels of irritation. Pet peeves are annoying, but in the grand scheme of things--we can usually learn to put things in perspective if we're willing.

No comments: