Tuesday, April 5, 2016

April Apperceptions: Oh, to Go to England

I used to think Australia was my dream place to visit, but recently I've been thinking that there's someplace else I'd rather see and experience. And maybe even live for a spell. Why? As song poet Roger Miller once wrote:

"England swings like a pendulum do
Bobbies on bicycles, two by two
Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben
The rosy-red cheeks of the little children"


Yes, there are fun things to see in the United States too--but there's something whimsically appealing about walking along the charming English countryside, roaming through rustic cottages--and stopping for a spot of tea.  And stepping on the cobblestones where some of the world's most skilled and renowned writers trod--Shakespeare, Dickens, Tolkien, Keats, Doyle, Austen, Browning (to name a few).

There are castles to capture, rivers to ramble, museums to mill around in. Not to mention parades, Parliament, and pedagogical history unlike any other. I could see Cambridge and Oxford first-hand.

England, like Oregon, is largely green. I think that if I were a resident for a time, it would remind me of home--and the accents would just be a bonus.


No comments: