Sunday, April 3, 2016

April Apperceptions: My Earliest Memory--Toddler Tinkering with Towels in the...



My earliest "memory," though I'm not sure I remember it or was simply told of it so many times that I thought I remembered it, involves my early attempts at helpfulness. I was somewhere between the ages of two and three. We lived in an old, run-down apartment building on the southeast side of Portland, Oregon. We had no washer and dryer, so my mom did laundry by hand, in the bathtub. Well, the bathtub was a little unreachable and big for a small tyke such as myself, so I proceeded to "wash" towels one day...in the toilet. Hey, it was water, right? I was quiet just a little too long, so Mom discovered me, dipping towels--which unfortunately had been already clean. Not anymore! As I recall, she commended me on my helpfulness but was quick to stop me. If my mom had overreacted, this could have been a very negative memory. But she understood my heart. So it remains a happy tale to this day.

No comments: