Monday, April 25, 2016

April Apperceptions: My Weirdness Documented



Today my writing challenge is to talk about four weird traits I have. Well, this should be easy. However, to be accurate, I'd best define what a "trait" is. It is "a distinguishing quality or characteristic, typically one belonging to a person." So it's not a habit or preference--but it may be an idiosyncrasy of some sort--which I suppose could include a habit.  "Weird," of course, is all relative. But I shall consider for my weird-ometer those ways in which I differ from most of the people I know.

1) I do not enjoy plants. Sure, I appreciate the beauty of them, but I am beyond un-enthusiastic when it comes to caring for them. I have never been consistent in terms of watering, trimming...basically anything that involves keeping a plant alive. I find it tedious, unpleasant, and frankly too much  work. My dream is to have a personal landscaper and to just enjoy the beauty without any of the work involved to produce it. So I guess you could call this weird trait "botanical loathing."

2) Bent fingers. My middle and pointer fingers on both hands are bent. I was born that way, and it's genetic. My mom's were more bent than mine--and her mother's were bent to an even greater degree.

3) I'm a changer (aka, I pile up laundry quickly). I'm kind of fanatical about sets of clothes. Once I've worn them for at least a couple hours, I consider them "dirty"--and it's rare for me to wear them again. And if I do, you can be certain that I've smelled them first.

4) I like public speaking. Yes, it makes me nervous--but contrary to how that makes most people feel, I actually like it. Most of my friends feel the opposite about public speaking. I've been told that I'm pretty good at it. It's just odd that I can both enjoy it and feel anxious about it at the same time.

And therein lies my special brand of awesomeness, folks.


No comments: